Digital Privacy (part 2)
Ads and Web tracking
- Visit a few websites, maybe snc.edu, maybe some other schools, businesses etc.
- Who does Google think I am?
What can be learned from tracking a person's use of the web? (mapping activity)
Why does this stuff matter?
- Old problem
- In a digital world this can be done at scale
- Influencing how you think
- way more prevalant, harder to notice
- "Free" products can be designed to be addictive to show you more ads (more on this later!)
- What if things disguise themselves as other types of content?
- Political advertising / propaganda? - The Great Hack
What can you do?
- delete stuff
- different emails (email@example.com -> firstname.lastname@example.org) (disposable email addresses mailinator.com)
App / Website Critique
- Choose an app or website to analyze
- Try to answer these questions
- What does the user interface of this service make easy to do?
- What does the user interface of this service make difficult to do?
- How does this company make money?
- Are the motivations of the user the same as the motivations of the company?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License