History of the Web
- The global computer network. NOT web pages!
- Websites are just one thing that we use the internet for (its by far the most popular thing)
Bulletin Board Systems (BBS)
Screenshot of Partices BBS at particles.org
- Pre-web service. Connected to from old computer terminals, some still exist today!
- Usually centered around a single topic
- kind of like a Facebook Group/Page, Subreddit, or Forum
WWW (World Wide Web)
- Tim Berners-Lee invented WWW in 1989
- First web browser in 1990
- The browser was released outside CERN in 1991
- 1993 - WWW announced free to use, Mosaic web browser came out (first popular browser), web browser are available on Macs, PCs, and most other popular computers of the time
- Basically the web went from an idea to a part of mainstream culture in 6 years, from 1989 - 1995
- Some classic pages that still exist:
Why was the web such a big deal?
- You only need two things to view web pages:
- a web browser
- an internet connetion
- Websites are easy to access, and don't require you to be a member of a specific community, like a BBS
- websites published on the internet are truly global, not just available to small group, like the members of a BBS
- HTML is easy to read / write
- Anyone can learn it by looking at other websites
- Hyper Text Markup Language
- Hypertext = Links!
- Markup = kind of like code, but more like a document
Activity: Let's look at some HTML (I promise its not that scary)
- Visit the first web page
- Right click on the page and select View Page Source (in Chrome)
- Open Notepad (Windows), Textedit(Mac), or the text editor of your choice
- copy and paste the source code from the first web page, into your text editor.
- Open mypage.html
After editing the file, make sure to save and reload the page in your browser!
- Change "Frequently Asked Questions" to "FAQs"
- Edit the header at the top of the page to say your name
- Delete the people section from the web page
- Change the name of the tab
- Add an image to the bottom of the page
- You could use this image on my website at this url:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License